Saturday, November 19, 2011

*1901-1902





Glider flying at Kittyhawk, N.C., 1900
The Wright brothers' flight is 1903


1901, July 16
(John Powell)
J.N. Powell
Furniture Dealer and Funeral Director
Southern Pines, N.C. July 16th, 1901

Successor to
H.H. Powell and Sons

My Dear Parson.

      Some time ago I wrote you, but not receiving a reply, I took it for granted that you must have gotten “Married” . Parson I have been thinking of you, and, wondering what you were up to.  Are you still with the Gas concern? I fixed up a sample (show) room out of the old store room at the head of the stairs, and I really think it was very pretty. I did not go to this state convention, as we did last year, I could not get away. I want to tell you about what a puff [?] I got. One of the traveling men told, at the convention what a new show room I had. He said that I had the prettiest show room in the state. How is that for a puff, for the old [par]son. I was glad, to know it, has not turned my head, for it can be improved on. I have several additions to the old shack, I have a broad stairs in the back of the store leading to the basement. I also bought me a pr. of brass pedestals, and an oxidized [sic] church truck [?] which is a dandy. I had a nice out fit for a small place but there were very [ destroyed] chances to use them this winter. There were very few deaths here. Do you remember Dudley Brown, the young fellow who went around on crutches, and lived in [a? that ? the ?] little building that Clark put up [near?] Heayes’ and the railroad. He died on the [?] of the month. I told Georgie that it had been so long since we (I) had a case that I was afraid to go around this dead man. She said that she would trust me for being afraid of him. Walter we  had a very severe rain storm last night . It rained 8 in during the night. The streets are washed up pretty badly “I reckon.” Young Edgerton tried to cross the branch at “the bridge” in Jessitown [?], and had of his horses, drowned. It is the little branch that you cross just before you enter Jessitown on your way to Pinehurst. Did I tell you that we have secured the old cen[ter?] lots, and are having a shack built there? P.D. was just in and I asked him what message he had for [Mr.] Bassett, this is his answer, “Are you going to write to Mr. Bassett “tellim” I am back here again, and tellim” I am well. [put?] any thing else in for me that you want [to say?] for me. You would not hardly know the little coon he is about 6 inches higher than he was last spring a year ago. The Free Press is getting a [ sour?] on its self see the extra enclosed.  Georgie has just come in , and says ask you if you are dead. Parson I am going to enclose an envelope stamped and directed so deop me a trace, and let me know that you are still in the land of the living. With very best wishes to you from Georgie + I and hopin to hear from you real soon, old boy –

                                                  Your friend,

                                                       John the Parson


I failed to tell you that I was in New Brusnwick on a visit.  Yours, John.

_______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment